Crisis Intervention Specialist
LOCATION: Milford, CT
At Boys & Girls Village, we understand that children and families are the cornerstones of our society. Since 1942, it has been our mission to preserve and strengthen family bonds. As a leader in services for troubled youth and their families, we continually strive to develop a seamless continuum of care. Boys & Girls Village offers an array of services for children and their families. These services range from highly structured sub-acute services on campus to intensive intervention and care in the home and the community. Our broad range of programs and services are designed to work collaboratively with families, state and local agencies, and other community providers.
PURPOSE/FUNCTION OF PROGRAM:
Charles F. Hayden School is committed to serving children through a psycho-educational, clinically informed therapeutic milieu. Collaborative educational planning and placement teams including families and district personnel design Individualized Educational Programs (IEP) for every student.
The Crisis Intervention Specialist’s primary role is to assist program staff in maintaining a safe and secure environment for staff and students in Charles F. Hayden School. The Crisis Intervention Specialist is responsible for helping to prevent and to ensure appropriate management of behavioral disruptions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with crisis intervention procedures as assigned. Includes, but is not limited to, de-escalation of highly agitated students, physical escort, physical restraint, and elopements.
- Inform the Education Milieu Manager of any student behavioral issues that may require the attention of the VP Education & Vocational Services
- Assist in refining program procedures for addressing severe behavioral disruptions
- Provides crisis intervention utilizing Cornell Therapeutic Crisis Intervention techniques
- Assist with monitoring and management of students who require out of classroom behavior management interventions
- Be knowledgeable of the program behavior management guidelines to assist in the implementation of behavior management programs
- May also provide crisis intervention services to residences and/or EDT as appropriate.
- Immediate notification to Education Milieu Manager and VP Education & Vocational Services regarding crisis situations, including elopements, major aggressions and sexual acting out
- Be familiar with and implement all program policies and procedures
- Complete Incident Reports as needed
- Completes documentation in accordance with state, federal, and Boys & Girls Village policies
- When 1:1 with a child must remain within arm’s length of the client until relieved by other staff
- Attends supervision and staff meetings weekly
- Discuss observations of client behaviors with Education Milieu Manager or VP of Education & Vocational Services as requested
- Create and maintain a clean work environment
- Adhere to the staffing schedule with the understanding that shift assignments are determined by program needs
- Carries out all additional assignments as directed
- Associate’s degree in education or a behavioral health related field such as social work, counseling, human services or a related area, or 3 years’ experience working with youth in a milieu based program.
- Previous experience working with children in a recreational, educational, residential or day program
- Skill and experience in implementing physical management and crisis intervention procedures with students who have behavioral problems.
- Skill and experience in de-escalation of highly agitated students
- Experience in implementing behavior management plans for students with emotional and behavioral problems.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Specialized license (Endorsement A) to drive students in agency vehicles
- CPR, First Aid Certified
- TCI certified
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Knowledge of cultural diversity and childhood development.
- Must pass physical examination
- Must be in sufficient physical condition in order to engage in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
- Lifting over forty-five pounds
- Moving furniture when necessary
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT:
- Flexible work schedule
- Be willing to drive off campus and transport children
COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
Boys & Girls Village takes pride in the supportive, team-oriented work environment we offer to current and prospective employees. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, short and long-term disability, a retirement plan and generous vacation benefits. In addition, it is our goal to assure that the highest quality of care is provided to our clients by our competent, committed employees. To that end, we encourage professional development through our tuition reimbursement program and promote continued growth through various learning opportunities.
Boys & Girls Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We accept resumes on an ongoing basis. Due to the large volume of resumes that we receive, we kindly ask that you do not inquire via telephone about the status of your resume. You can be assured that if you do not hear from us, your resume will be held on file for future consideration.
PLEASE NOTE:Due to the Department of Children & Families regulations, we are prohibited from hiring anyone with a pending charges or convictions of assault or a violent crime; risk of injury to a minor; impairing the morals of a child; physical or sexual abuse, possession; use or sale of a controlled substance; similar crimes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.