Culinary Instructor- Part Time
Location: Bridgeport, CT
- BGV is seeking a certified culinary instructor
- Working in our vocational program with teens ages 16-21
. Monday-Friday 2pm-6pm
. Prepares and provides culinary instruction
- Responsible for preparation and cooking of all food
- Works in conjunction with food service manager to place all food and supply orders and oversee deliveries for Work to Learn
- Organizes and maintains the restaurant kitchen facilities independently, so that it meets CT health standards
- Assists in all special events; may require some evening and/or weekend hours
- On site and off site catering and food vending cart
- Creates and/or makes changes to menu as needed, to ensure customer satisfaction
- Must respond to and work with diverse and varied client populations
- Meet all teaching expectations, as outlined and support the BGV mission
- Associate degree (certain industry /educational certifications may be accepted in lieu of AS) plus 2-3 years’ instructional experience.
- Thorough knowledge of basic and advanced cooking techniques including hot and cold foods, soups, stocks, sauces, etc.
- Knowledge of Unox/Rational ovens
- Knowledge of proper sanitation and safety procedures as defined by the State of Connecticut Health Code
- Knowledge of all required kitchen small wares and equipment, including proper breakdown, sanitation and reassembly of equipment
- Skilled in basic math applications as used in food service operations including food cost, labor cost, recipe conversion and yield test and well versed in culinary terms used in a professional kitchen
- Skilled in making presentations to groups of clients and in explaining culinary techniques at a fundamental to advanced level
- SERV Safe for Managers required-certified proctor and instructor
PURPOSE/FUNCTION OF THE PROGRAM:
- The focus of the Work to Learn Program is to maximize youth’s educational, vocational and employability skills and experiences. The function of Meatball Heaven is to provide a learning atmosphere to better prepare our clients for a rewarding career in the Food Service Industry.
COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
- Boys & Girls Village (BGV) takes pride in the supportive, team-oriented environment we offer to our employees.
- Competitive salaries, with increased compensation for Bi-lingual in Spanish staff
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits, including an option that is free to employees.
- Life insurance, short and long-term disability
- a 401K plan with employer contributions
- Generous benefit time
- A tuition reimbursement program and free licensing supervision.
We are an equal opportunity employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.