Director of Education & Vocational Services
LOCATION: Milford, CT
At Boys & Girls Village, we understand that children and families are the cornerstones of our society. Since 1942, it has been our mission to preserve and strengthen family bonds. As a leader in services for troubled youth and their families, we continually strive to develop a seamless continuum of care. Boys & Girls Village offers an array of services for children and their families. These services range from highly structured sub-acute services on campus to intensive intervention and care in the home and the community. Our broad range of programs and services are designed to work collaboratively with families, state and local agencies, and other community providers.
I. PURPOSE/FUNCTION OF PROGRAM:
Charles F. Hayden School is committed to educating students through a psycho-educational, clinically informed therapeutic milieu. Collaborative educational planning and placement teams including families and district personnel design Individualized Educational Programs (IEP) for every student. POSITION
II. POSITION OVERVIEW:
The Director functions under the direct supervision of the VP of Education and Vocational Services. The Director serves on the School Leadership Team (SLT) and as the educational and vocational lead, implementing SEED teacher evaluations and developing the curriculum. The Director is also responsible for ensuring that IEPs are fully implemented and will serve as liaison and lead mentor for the Connecticut Teacher Education and Mentor Program (CTTEAM). The Director of Education will work in close collaboration with the Clinical Director of Education .
III. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for developing and implementing the school curriculum ensuring that all Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and Common Core State Standards are followed.
2. Provide direction, oversight, modeling and supervision of teachers through SEED and agency evaluations, direct observations and individual supervision to ensure best instructional practices
3. Collaborate with Clinical Director and Milieu Staff to ensure the presence of a safe, structured, therapeutic environment in the school and the day to day operations and communication .
4. Monitors and communicates all relative changes, mandates and CSDE recommendations.
5. Oversees that adminstrative functions are completed in accordance with state, federal, and agency regulations and communicated including completion of school contracts, entering LEA portals, etc.
6. Participate and lead as needed staff trainings, meetings, and development exercises.
7. Prepares all reports and documents related to role responsibilities in accordance with quality guidelines and due date postings.
8. Oversee the transition and vocational programs including their expansion, development and implementation, increasing the number of students participating and potential placements.
9. Implement and document onboarding process for new teachers, ensuring they are trained within 90 days.
10. Participate in the planning of professional development as applicable through the Annual School Professional Development Pland and Boys & Girls Village Professional Development Plan.
11. Collect and prepare data related to student/overall school progress tied to BGV Strategic Planning and Education and Vocational goals.
12. Ensure that all data is gathered and that staff are prepared for the PPT process, arranging/participating in team meetings in classrooms and assuring the guardians have been included.
13. Develops department structures and procedures in accordance with agency goals and all applicable standards and regulations.
IV. ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS :
1. Initial, provisional or professional CT Intermediate Administration Certification is required (092).
2. At least 5 years previous experience teaching students with special needs.
3. Must have CT Special Education Certification Teacher Certification (165).
4. Demonstrated ability in managing professional staff and collaborate with other disciplines.
5. Must be able to respond to crisis situations regarding the safety of all students and staff.
6. Good communication skills
V. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Experience with curriculum development, vocational training and teacher evaluation.
2. Ability to expand new programs and implement changes aligned with school needs.
3. Bi-lingual in Spanish
VI. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide direct supervision and evaluations of teachers.
2. Provide direction and oversight to the Transition Coordinator
VIII. PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
1. Must be able to climb 2 flights of stairs.
2. Ability to drive off site to attend trade meetings and trainings.
3. Must be able to participate in crisis management.
COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
Boys & Girls Village takes pride in the supportive, team-oriented work environment we offer to current and prospective employees. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, short and long-term disability, a retirement plan and generous vacation benefits. In addition, it is our goal to assure that the highest quality of care is provided to our clients by our competent, committed employees. To that end, we encourage professional development through our tuition reimbursement program and promote continued growth through various learning opportunities.
Boys & Girls Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We accept resumes on an ongoing basis. Due to the large volume of resumes that we receive, we kindly ask that you do not inquire via telephone about the status of your resume. You can be assured that if you do not hear from us, your resume will be held on file for future consideration.
PLEASE NOTE:Due to the Department of Children & Families regulations, we are prohibited from hiring anyone with a pending charges or convictions of assault or a violent crime; risk of injury to a minor; impairing the morals of a child; physical or sexual abuse, possession; use or sale of a controlled substance; similar crimes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.