Milieu Nurse-Part Time HAMILTON
LOCATION: Bridgeport, CT
At Boys & Girls Village, we understand that children and families are the cornerstones of our society. Since 1942, it has been our mission to preserve and strengthen family bonds. As a leader in services for troubled youth and their families, we continually strive to develop a seamless continuum of care. Boys & Girls Village offers an array of services for children and their families. These services range from highly structured sub-acute services on campus to intensive intervention and care in the home and the community. Our broad range of programs and services are designed to work collaboratively with families, state and local agencies, and other community providers.
PURPOSE/FUNCTION OF PROGRAM:
(The Helping Adolescent Males in Learning Their Options Now) HAMILTON program is a 6 bed alternative to detention program for males ages 14 to 18 years of age. The purpose of this 14 day program is to provide a comprehensive assessment of needs and link youth and their families to community-based services and natural supports that will best meet their needs.
The Nurse provides and oversees health care needs for children in the HAMILTON Program. Completes nursing assessments on all new admissions and provides healthcare programming on the unit including healthcare groups. Oversees the administration of all medications.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides oversight regarding all applicable licensing and health standards, ensuring compliance with applicable regulations.
- Works with Medical Director to ensure appropriate and timely review of all medical policy and procedures, and availability of all medical supplies needed for children in care.
- Ensures that medical policy and procedures are documented and that the program standards meet COA, DCF, CSSD, DHP, and agency requirements.
- Ensures that the program have all medical supplies necessary.
- Coordinates all medical care with community providers, as needed.
- Evaluates and coordinates the health care needs of all children in the programs, completing nursing assessments for all youth upon admission, develops a nursing care plan and ensures that medical and nutritional needs are incorporated into the individual care plan.
- Works with the Medical Director and prescribers to ensure that all medication orders are current, medication supplies are adequate, discharge prescriptions are written, medications are dispensed for passes, and to ensure a schedule of medication evaluations are maintained.
- Assists in the supervision of the administration of medications, and is available to consult with staff regarding medication questions, or concerns about side effects, or appropriateness of medications as prescribed.
- Provides oversight to ensure that all clinical records maintain appropriate health records.
- Participates during intake/admission procedures and discharges.
- Assists with and coordinates the assessment of children during restraints when possible.
- Assists with and coordinates in the evaluation of the physical condition of children following abuse report/allegations.
- Contributes to the treatment plans for each child in the areas of health care including nutrition and hygiene.
- Keeps teams and Director apprised of any physical or health care issues, which may affect the health and/or safety of children or staff.
- Coordinates and liaisons with community medical providers as needed
- Takes direct charge of any medical emergencies, on call 24/7.
- Keeps supervisor apprised of any physical or health care issues, which may affect the health and/or safety of clients or staff.
- Completes all required trainings including Relias by due date.
- Completes other tasks as assigned.
- Must be a registered nurse who has graduated from an accredited school of nursing.
- Must have knowledge of applicable standards and regulations.
- Must have knowledge of diverse cultural groups and the ability to work within a multidisciplinary team.
- Must fulfill competency-based training requirements in TCI and the Boys & Girls Village Social Skills Model.
- Prior experience in pediatric care is preferred.
- Certified Medication Administration Instructor and a CPR/First Aid Instructor.
- Directly supervise all Milieu and Per Diem Nurses
- Supervise all DCF Medication Certified Staff ensuring safe medication administration
- Ability to perform TCI consistent with program policy and procedure
- Ability to climb stairs
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT:
- Some travel may be required; must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must be able to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet program needs.
COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
Boys & Girls Village takes pride in the supportive, team-oriented work environment we offer to current and prospective employees. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, short and long-term disability, a retirement plan and generous vacation benefits. In addition, it is our goal to assure that the highest quality of care is provided to our clients by our competent, committed employees. To that end, we encourage professional development through our tuition reimbursement program and promote continued growth through various learning opportunities.
Boys & Girls Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We accept resumes on an ongoing basis. Due to the large volume of resumes that we receive, we kindly ask that you do not inquire via telephone about the status of your resume. You can be assured that if you do not hear from us, your resume will be held on file for future consideration.
PLEASE NOTE:Due to the Department of Children & Families regulations, we are prohibited from hiring anyone with a pending charges or convictions of assault or a violent crime; risk of injury to a minor; impairing the morals of a child; physical or sexual abuse, possession; use or sale of a controlled substance; similar crimes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.