Parent Educator Norwalk
LOCATION: Norwalk, CT
At Boys & Girls Village, we understand that children and families are the cornerstones of our society. Since 1942, it has been our mission to preserve and strengthen family bonds. As a leader in services for troubled youth and their families, we continually strive to develop a seamless continuum of care. Boys & Girls Village offers an array of services for children and their families. These services range from highly structured sub-acute services on campus to intensive intervention and care in the home and the community. Our broad range of programs and services are designed to work collaboratively with families, state and local agencies, and other community providers.
PURPOSE/FUNCTION OF THE PROGRAM:
The Parenting Support Services Program is a service for families with children 0-18 that supports and enhances positive family functioning. Families receive one or more of the PSS interventions, Positive Parenting Program (Triple P) and Circle of Security Parenting, along with case management.
The function of the PSS program is to help parents become resourceful problem solvers and be able to create a positive and safe home learning environment for children to develop emotional, behavior, and cognitive strengths. It also will help build, support, and strengthen parents’ relationship capabilities so they are better equipped to provide a quality of relationship that is more supportive of secure attachment.
The Parent Educator provides the Circle of Security and Positive Parenting Program curriculum interventions in both individual and group settings. In addition, the Parent Educator will provide necessary case management.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Carries average caseload of 10 families
- Conduct home visits using evidence-based models to improve parental capacity, skill development, and competence of caregivers
- Provide case management to help families identify and meet their basic needs
- Facilitate parent education groups
- Complete referrals for needed resources and services in the community.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of family strengths, needs, and resources
- Develop strength based individualized family service plans
- Collaborates with other service providers to assure continuity of care.
- Attends monthly DCF reviews if applicable
- Keeps the PSS Coordinator apprised of all situations that involve the safety of any individuals in the program or community.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prevent, intervene and report instances of child abuse or neglect.
- Completes all paperwork in accordance with state and federal statutes, COA standards and Boys & Girls Village, Inc. standards.
- Participates in the collection of all required data elements for DCF and the agency
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related mental health field
- Prior experience providing services to children and families.
- Willing to provide services in the home
- Demonstrated history of cultural competence
- Bi-Lingual English/Spanish
- Knowledge of Triple P and/ or Circle of Security
- Must be able to climb several flights of stairs
- Must be able to work with clients in a variety of settings
- Must be able to lift 35lbs
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
- Must be willing to drive to off –campus sites for home visits, collaborative meetings and client transportation.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evening and weekend hours as part of normal service hours, in order to accommodate individual family needs/schedules
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record, and access to reliable transportation.
COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
Boys & Girls Village takes pride in the supportive, team-oriented work environment we offer to current and prospective employees. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, short and long-term disability, a retirement plan and generous vacation benefits. In addition, it is our goal to assure that the highest quality of care is provided to our clients by our competent, committed employees. To that end, we encourage professional development through our tuition reimbursement program and promote continued growth through various learning opportunities.
Boys & Girls Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We accept resumes on an ongoing basis. Due to the large volume of resumes that we receive, we kindly ask that you do not inquire via telephone about the status of your resume. You can be assured that if you do not hear from us, your resume will be held on file for future consideration.
PLEASE NOTE:Due to the Department of Children & Families regulations, we are prohibited from hiring anyone with a pending charges or convictions of assault or a violent crime; risk of injury to a minor; impairing the morals of a child; physical or sexual abuse, possession; use or sale of a controlled substance; similar crimes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.