Extended Day Treatment Behavior Specialist
LOCATION: Bridgeport, CT
At Boys & Girls Village, we understand that children and families are the cornerstones of our society. Since 1942, it has been our mission to preserve and strengthen family bonds. As a leader in services for troubled youth and their families, we continually strive to develop a seamless continuum of care. Boys & Girls Village offers an array of services for children and their families. These services range from highly structured sub-acute services on campus to intensive intervention and care in the home and the community. Our broad range of programs and services are designed to work collaboratively with families, state and local agencies, and other community providers.
- PURPOSE/FUNCTION OF PROGRAM:
Extended Day Treatment (EDT) provides services to children who have returned or are retuning home from out-of-home care and require a less intensive level of treatment or are at imminent risk of placement due to mental health issues or emotional disturbances.
- POSITION OVERVIEW:
The EDT Behavior Specialist provides direct care, behavior management, therapeutic and recreational programming in a safe, orderly and nurturing environment in order to meet the goals of client specific treatment plans.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides required assistance and supports to facilitate the client’s behavioral, emotional, and social development and learning, in accordance with an individualized treatment plan in a structured, intensive, therapeutic milieu setting and within the community, by working collaboratively through a multidisciplinary team.
- Co-leads groups and assists in supervising therapeutic milieu from a trauma informed framework
- Performs bus aide duties with transportation service incorporating treatment goals.
- Completes paperwork and documents all services and procedures in adherence with Medicaid, State statutes, COA standards and Boys & Girls Village standards.
- Performs tasks assigned by Milieu Supervisor and Program Manager
- OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides crisis intervention utilizing Cornell Therapeutic Crisis Intervention techniques.
- Documents and discusses observations of client behaviors with clinicians.
- Keeps the Program Manager apprised of any and all situations, which involve the safety of any individuals in the program or community.
- Supervised by the Milieu Supervisor
- Prevents, intervenes and reports instances of child abuse or neglect.
- Carries out all additional assignments as directed.
- Medication Management, CPR/First Aid certified.
- ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in a behavioral health related specialty such as social work, counseling, human services or a related area; or associates degree; or high school diploma.
- 2 years of experience providing mental health services to children and/or adolescents.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record is also required.
- PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience working with children and families within a systems approach to treatment is preferred.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish)
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be in sufficient physical condition in order to engage in a Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
- Must be able to climb several flights of stairs
- Must be able to work with clients in a variety of settings
- WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
- Evening and occasional weekends are required
- Must have a valid drivers license and be willing to drive to off campus sites for home visits and collaborative meetings
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule
COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
Boys & Girls Village takes pride in the supportive, team-oriented work environment we offer to current and prospective employees. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, short and long-term disability, a retirement plan and generous vacation benefits. In addition, it is our goal to assure that the highest quality of care is provided to our clients by our competent, committed employees. To that end, we encourage professional development through our tuition reimbursement program and promote continued growth through various learning opportunities.
Boys & Girls Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We accept resumes on an ongoing basis. Due to the large volume of resumes that we receive, we kindly ask that you do not inquire via telephone about the status of your resume. You can be assured that if you do not hear from us, your resume will be held on file for future consideration.
PLEASE NOTE:Due to the Department of Children & Families regulations, we are prohibited from hiring anyone with a pending charges or convictions of assault or a violent crime; risk of injury to a minor; impairing the morals of a child; physical or sexual abuse, possession; use or sale of a controlled substance; similar crimes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.